Montebello in Quebec, Canada is my next stop in “A collection of One Day Trips from Ottawa“
Ottawa’s located in a unique position; the city is literally a stone throw from Quebec, which has its own gems to explore!
For this piece, I decided to explore the city of Montebello. You may have heard of this little town, which was made famous by hosting the annual Amnesia Rockfest music festival that attracts over 200,000 music fans to this tiny city of only 1,039 permanent residents!
Montebello is about an hour’s drive from either Ottawa or Montreal. It’s a scenic drive filled with many rolling hills and farmland.
The city itself is surrounded by hills, forests and fields, situated on the north shore of the Ottawa River at the crossroads between Montreal, Ottawa and Mont Tremblant. It’s a welcoming city surrounded by beautiful scenery (like on the picture below)
Even though the city is tiny, remember the population is only 1,039 residents it’s still worth your time to visit. When we got there the first thing we did was visit the visitor centre, we were able to get helpful info on what to see and do from a very informative employee. She was welcoming and helpful, and had that aura of a small town resident which I just love!
I compiled a list of my best places to visit below, hope you have as much fun as we did!
WHAT TO SEE IN MONTEBELLO:
1. Montebello is world-famous for the Fairmont Château Montebello Resort and Spa, the largest wooden construction in the world (I was told by local expert in Visitor Centre). I’m not sure it’s the biggest in the world, but maybe in North America. The resort was the host for the 1983 NATO Nuclear Planning Group, and the 1981 G7 Economic Summit. Historically founded as a private club in 1930, Fairmont Le Château Montebello has had the privilege of hosting many political figures, royalty and other celebrities.
2. Parc Omega is the second biggest thing to see in Montebello. It’s a large drive-through wildlife park. I did not visit this time but it’s on the list for future trips.
3. Manoir Papineau national historic site is one of the treasured heritage sites of the Petite-Nation and the Outaouais region. This site pays tribute to Louis-Joseph Papineau, a historical figure whose major role on the national political scene of the country in the 19th century is widely recognized. It also highlights an impressive architectural work, designed and built by Louis-Joseph Papineau, or the entire house and the area of “Monte-Bello”.
4. Manoir Louis-Joseph-Papineau Parcs Canada is a beautiful park for walking, cycling and just sitting on the chair and enjoying the view.
5. Chocomotive Économusée is an artisanal chocolate shop in part with other fine shops, bakeries and restaurants it holds a Transfair Canada license. This means that ChocoMotive uses only chocolate, sugar and organic and fair trade certified cocoa.In August 2010, ChocoMotive moved into the old Montebello train station and became the first Economuseum in the Outaouais. The chocolate is amazing there and I definitely recommend visiting it. It’s located in the same building where the Visitor Centre is. They have also workshops. Free admission. Guided tours for groups (minimum 10 people min) for an extra fee. MUST TRY.
6. Fromagerie Montebello – http://www.fromagerie-montebello.ca/
Oh and who can forget Amnesia Rockfest in June. Over 200,000 music fans gather in this small town for music and fun!!
WHERE TO EAT:
Have a nice breakfast at a unique place – Fairmont le Chateau Montebello. Enjoy the tranquility of the Ottawa River and the beautiful gardens while enjoying a gastronomic feast in Montebello restaurant. They offer buffet and a la carte. Breakfast menu you can have a look here
- Breakfast buffet: daily from 7:00 a.m to 11:00 a.m. except for Sunday from 7:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Sunday brunch: 11:30 a.m., 12:00 p.m., 1:00 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. (Seating times may differ)
Visit Brasseurs de Montebello for a special beer.
- Free parking available in front of Visitor Centre. From there you can walk the whole city few times.
- Discounts for a Day at SPA at Fairmont Montebello Resort – check here
- Fairmont Montebello Resort – a perfect place for a romantic escape.
- Buy chocolate in Chocomotive Économusée.
More pictures – Montebello Gallery
Where to find great deals? Sign up for FREE exclusive weekly updates
Share your experience!
Like this? Share with your friends!